Getting rid of your furniture when moving is a task people often do not even think about. After all, you are thinking about a hundred small details, figuring things out, and planning a move. You will be more concerned about things you are taking with your packing and moving services NYC than the ones that stay behind. However, it is important to carefully consider where to donate furniture in NYC before you move. There are many organizations that accept donations, but you will need to look for them. Not only that, but you will need to pick the one you want, as well as to figure out the process of donating and delivering your furniture. But do not worry, IPS NYC Movers are here to help you. We take a look at this donation process in today’s article.
The first step is to clean up your home
There is a lot of things that you need to do when moving furniture NYC. First, you will want to decide which items you will be taking with you, and which can stay behind. This task can often take quite a long time. Therefore, experts recommend you take at least a month or two to sort and pack everything. Not only do you need to make your decisions, but you need to pick out the packing supplies, figure out how you will pack everything, and finally proceed to pack.
Therefore, the first step to this process is to clean your home thoroughly. Cleaning your home will give you valuable info about the state of your items. You will know exactly what you have on you, what you can say goodbye to, and what you would like to move. You can even use the six-months rule to figure this out: if you did not use an item in the last six months, then it does not need to be on the moving truck. The chances are you will not use it again in the coming months anyway. When the time finally comes for you to need it, you will buy a replacement. In the long run, this will turn out to be much cheaper and efficient.
Before you donate furniture in NYC you will need to separate it well
After your home is clean and you know where whether you are taking or leaving each item, it’s time to decide the fate of the “discarded” items. You will want to separate these into different categories:
- The first group is the items and furniture you will want to donate.
- The second is the stuff you will want to sell.
- Finally, the third group consists of things you will toss away.
First, you will want to figure out whether or not someone can still use your item. If your furniture is worn out, old, and looking like it is going to break any moment, you will be better of throwing it away. No one will want to buy these items, and you should not donate furniture like this either. However, ensure you dispose of furniture in the right way.
The next step is to figure out just what your moving budget and timeline look like. If you have a lot of time, you might want to host a yard sale. This can prove to be essential to your moving budget. If you are running out of money for the move, you can get some money this way and employ specialty moving services for certain items – like fine art movers NYC, for example. However, the disadvantage of this is that it will take some time to set up, as well as to go through the whole thing. Also, no one can guarantee that you will make any money on this. Therefore, many people immediately skip this and decide to donate furniture in NYC instead.
Before you donate furniture in NYC, make sure it is in working condition
When you want to donate your furniture, it is extremely important to ensure it is in working condition. As we mentioned above, not doing so means you are making the facilities accepting the furniture dispose of furniture instead of you. But this is not all. Before you reach out to a facility, ensure you clean the furniture items completely. It is true that you might also be running on a tight schedule, but donating clean furniture is common courtesy, to say the least.
Since we have that out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the facilities and places which will gladly accept your items:
- Goodwill is often the first thing people think of when talking about donating furniture in NYC. They also work in the New Jersey area, and you can drop off your items at their stores. Sadly, they cannot offer free pickup services in New York, so this will have to be your task.
- Big Reuse is focusing on the environment. They are fighting its destruction by salvaging any item they deem usable. If you have items that do not have any damages, they will probably accept them. This includes tables, dressers, bookshelves, end tables, and small desks. They do pick up, but only in large volumes.
- Hour Children helps women in New York who are incarcerated or have been incarcerated – and they also offer pickup services to help you donate furniture in NYC. They have a couple of thrift shops around the city and will accept different furniture. However, they do not accept recliners, futons, bends, and bookcases.