Hiring movers is often more complicated than it seems. Once people decide to move and hire a full-moving service, they are often not aware of possible complications. If you are planning a move to NYC and looking for the best Rego Park movers, you should know how to handle every step of your relocation. In case of potential problems with a moving company, you can always file a moving complaint. However, this might not be an easy process. Before you decide on this action, make sure that you did everything you can to resolve a dispute with your movers. In case it doesn’t work, a moving complaint might be your only option. Take a look at how you can file a moving complaint and how to handle a moving scam like a pro.
What to do when there are problems after the move?
Get information about the dispute settlement program
Whether you’re moving locally or long distance, you should know your rights in case something goes wrong. However, reliable interstate movers all provide their customers with basic information about their rights. It’s not uncommon that something goes wrong during the move and it is your movers’ fault. Before hiring movers, make sure that they’re providing all the information regarding the dispute settlement program.
Identifying the problem
People file a moving complaint for many different reasons. A problem could be loss or damage to the inventory, an overlong delay of your belongings or something else. Another common moving complication is the overall cost of the move. Before you decide to file a moving complaint, you should identify a problem. Also, check out all the factors that caused a problem to make sure it’s actually your movers’ fault.
Know your rights
In order to avoid moving complications in the first place, you should know your rights in advance. For example, if your movers didn’t tell you the overall price of their services on time, you should get informed about the relation of the initial quote and the final price. Otherwise, your movers can double or even triple what they charge. If you need to file a moving complaint, it’s best to keep track of every deal you signed with your movers.
How to file a moving complaint?
In order to understand this process, you must know who’s in charge of the problems you have with a moving company. On websites like FMCSA, you can find all the information you need in order to file a moving complaint. Here are some steps you need to take in order to handle a dispute with your movers and file a complaint:
- Contact FMCSA. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will keep your file as a permanent record for the moving company you hired. Although the FMCSA does not have the authority to handle this problem, it can help you follow the process step by step.
- State your personal information and details of the move. When complaining about unprofessional movers, you should state all the problems you witnessed, and state the reason for the complaint.
- Contact the authorities if necessary. In case your movers don’t seem to answer your calls and there is a significant delay in your inventory, you might accuse them of holding your inventory hostage.
Why should you file a moving complaint?
After your move is over and you’ve fallen in the middle of a moving scam, there are some things you can do. While handling post-move paperwork, you should consider letting other potential customers know about the fraudulent movers. By filing a moving complaint, you will help authorities identify scamming moving companies.
Another thing you can do is to prevent many people from hiring the same fraudulent company. If you file a moving complaint, you will make sure to provide all the data sources needed for further investigation by authorities.
In case your inventory is lost or damaged, there are still things you can do to improve the situation. What you should do is to file a written claim that your movers can provide. Make sure to complete the form the best you can and to file it within 9 months of the delivery.
How to recognize reliable movers?
When searching for moving companies, you should be aware of potential scams in advance. In order to avoid problems during your move, you should know what to look for in a moving company you want to hire. For example, if looking for reliable Middle Village movers, you should check the following:
- A moving company should have experience and quality equipment.
- Your movers should be open about their services and prices.
- Before signing the contract, your movers should offer you a free moving quote.
- Positive reviews and comments should help you choose the best moving company.
- Look for movers with a license.
- Open communication with movers is necessary during each step of the moving process. Don’t let your movers sell you shady stories and false promises.
If you already organized a move and it turned out to be a scam, there are still ways to handle this situation without too much stress. What you should do is to remain focused, know your rights and file a moving complaint on time. Moving can be difficult by itself, but the aftermath is often more stressful than the relocation itself. By having the right information and knowing your rights, you will help many people to avoid fraudulent movers in the future.